Barrister & Solicitor
Tel: (604) 601-2046
Christine Duhaime practices law with Duhaime Law in Vancouver.
Christine is a member of the International Association of Financial Crime Investigators, the Association of Chiefs of Police, the Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. She has a specialized financial crime practice and is a certified financial crime and anti-money laundering specialist, an American certification.
Duhaime Law advises on financial crime compliance which includes counter-terrorist financing, anti-money laundering law and sanctions law compliance for several Fortune Global 500 companies, global law firms, financial institutions, casinos, money services businesses, securities brokerages and for emerging financial technology firms such as digital financial services, including digital currencies. The firm also consults for clients in financial investigations, and forensics to trace assets in banks and at digital currency exchanges for litigation and recovery purposes, as well as auditing digital currency exchanges.
Duhaime Law is one of the 50 founding law firms of the Digital Currency & Ledger Defence Coalition, a US not-for-profit of leading lawyers that provides free constitutional advice and files amicus briefs for Blockchain and digital currency companies.
Christine has a broad range of legal experience in M&A, corporate transactions, contract drafting, resolution of business and shareholder disputes, regulatory registrations, permitting and approvals, gaming law regulation, hearings relating to various regulatory matters, securities law regulation, corporate compliance matters and immigration. She also acts in litigation matters for foreign asset tracing and recovery, including for mareava injunction applications in complex financial litigation.
She has consulted as foreign counsel in civil and commercial matters in China including for proceedings at the High People’s Court of Fujian, Shijiazhuang Intermediate People’s Court, Intermediate People’s Court in Fuzhou, Gulou District People’s Court, Fengze District People’s Court and Shijiazhuang Arbitration Commission. She has appeared as a legal expert on financial crime several times before Committees of the House of Commons and the Senate of Canada.
She is a frequent keynote speaker on financial crime, forensics, investigations, technology, artificial intelligence and law, having been invited to speak, among others, by The White House to the Global Entrepreneurship Summit as part of the delegation of leading entrepreneurs, before the United Nations UNICTRAL on Artificial Intelligence Law and Blockchain Law, the Financial Action Task Force on anti-money laundering law and the Asian Development Bank on financial inclusion. Christine is consistently ranked as one of the Top 100 Women in FinTech, Top 100% Most Influential in FinTech and a Top 100 thought leaders across FinTech, AI and Blockchain.
Christine was the featured lawyer in The Canadian Bar Association’s The National on how AI, Blockchain & FinTech will change the practice of law.
Select Media Interviews
Christine is frequently in the media as an expert on legal issues, particularly in relation to financial crime, terrorism, financial, market regulation and digital currencies, ICOs and Blockchain, including as follows:
- August 2017 – Christine was interviewed in American Banker on cybercriminals and AI.
- August 2017 – Christine was the guest lawyer on American Banker’s podcast “Why Banks Should Embrace ICOs.”
- July 2017 – Christine was on The Current on CBC Radio discussing the need for inclusive artificial intelligence.
- June 2017 – Christine was in the South China Morning Post in connection with asset recovery for China.
- June 2017 – Christine was in the Vancouver Sun in connection with asset recovery for China.
- April 2017 – Christine was in the Globe & Mail in connection with with medical marijuana.
- February 2017 – Christine was featured in The Guardian as one of 4 women changing FinTech.
- January 2017 – Christine was in American Banker in connection with the evolution of AI and bots in banking.
- March 2017 – Christine was on BNN, on real estate and money laundering risks.
- September 2016 – Christine was in the South China Morning Post on an extradition treaty with China.
- August 2016 – Christine was in American Banker on Artificial Intelligence and Banking.
- June 2016 – Christine was on BBC World News in connection with human smuggling by transnational organized crime in Libya.
- March 2016 – Christine was in Seattle Times for millennials impacted by Vancouver real estate.
- July 2015 – Christine was in SWIFT’s Sibos Issues in respect of a project undertaken on women in FinTech.
- July 2015 – Christine was in the Wall Street Journal regarding the FATF’s guidance on digital currencies.
- July 2015 – Christine was in the Globe & Mail on the legal issues of terrorist threats to airline infrastructure.
- June 2015 – Christine was in the CFA Magazine on digital currencies regulation and FinTech.
- June 2015 – Christine was in American Banker in respect of the Canadian Senate Report on digital currencies.
- May 2015 – Christine was in American Banker on the growing issues of financial inclusion.
- May 2015 – Christine was interviewed by the Journal du Montréal regarding risks of terrorism and terrorist financing in Canada.
- May 2015 – Christine was in the National Post regarding transnational organized crime in Canada and money laundering concerns.
- April 2015 – Christine was in the Wall Street Journal regarding terrorist financing risks.
- April 2015 – Christine was in the South China Morning Post regarding China’s economic fugitives and proceeds of corruption.
- April 2015 – Christine was in the Vancouver Sun regarding economic fugitives from China.
- April 2015 – Christine was in the National Post and Ottawa Citizen on money laundering concerns with China’s economic fugitives.
- April 2015 – Christine was in the National Post regarding money laundering compliance concerns involving the real estate sector in Canada.
- April 2015 – Christine was in Business in Vancouver regarding risks of proceeds of corruption from China and money laundering concerns with economic fugitives.
- February 2015 – Christine was in the South China Morning Post on the issue of money laundering risks in Vancouver.
- January 2015 – Christine was in International Business Times regarding terrorist financing of the Islamic State.
- January 2015 – Christine was in the Wall Street Journal in respect of the sanctions and North Korea.
- January 2015 – Christine was in Forensic Accounting & Fraud Magazine regarding balancing the financial crime risks and digital currencies.
- December 2014 – Christine was in Foreign Policy Magazine terrorist financing.
- December 2014 – Christine was in MingPao Daily regarding money laundering trends in China, Hong Kong and Canada.
- November 2014 – Christine was in Money Laundering Bulletin in respect of money laundering trends in China, Macau and Canada.
- October 2014 – Christine was interviewed on BNN in respect of terrorist attacks in Canada and impacts on the economy and financial markets.
- October 2014 – Christine was interviewed in The Wall Street Journal in respect of terrorist financing.
- October 2014 – Christine was interviewed by GlobalTV in respect of convictions of terrorist financing in Canada.
- October 2014 – Christine was interviewed for the Toronto Star in respect of the Islamic State’s human rights record and financial crimes.
- September 2014 – Christine was on CBC TV to discuss terrorist financing issues.
- July 2014 – Christine was in PaymentsCompliance in respect of digital currencies.
- July 2014 – Christine was in Macleans regarding the financial technology and financial crime risks of digital currency transactions.
- July 2014 – Christine’s summary of Canada’s new legislation implementing rules for digital currencies was included in the US Library of Congress‘ Global Legal Monitor service.
- June 2014 – Christine was in The Wall Street Journal regarding the implementation of the world’s first Bitcoin legislation.
- June 2014 – Christine was interviewed by The Daily Dot regarding securities law issues involving the offering of ICOs and Bitcoin-related securities and derivatives.
- June 2014 – Christine was in Law Times Magazine regarding digital currencies.
- June 2014 – Christine was in Finextra regarding Canada’s digital currency legislation.
- June 2014 – Christine was interviewed in Gambling Compliance, in respect of anti-money laundering law developments.
- May 2014 – Christine was interviewed on international tax fraud, tax havens and money laundering in soccer with the Association of Certified Financial Crime Specialists.
- May 2014 – Christine was in Canadian Lawyer Magazine on legal issues associated with digital currency transactions in Canada.
- April 2014 – Christine was interviewed by the Huffington Post on legal issues associated with Bitcoin and digital currencies.
Articles and Publications
Christine has written numerous articles on M&A, corporate law, international trade, financial crime, gambling and anti-money laundering law for various publications such as for Quartz, the Globe & Mail, Financier Worldwide, the Financial Post, Toronto Star, Corporate Governance, National Magazine, Canadian Gaming Business, IGaming Law, Casino Magazine, Gambling Compliance and Lawyer’s Weekly:
- “ICOs: The Beauty, the Beast and JFK“, CoinDesk.
- “AI’s Disruption of Banking is Inevitable – For Better or Worse,” American Banker.
- “An Extradition treaty with China sends a message about corruption,” Globe & Mail.
- “Someone took down The DAO. Here’s why that’s astounding,” Globe & Mail.
- “We’re all equal under the law – why not this unnamed bank?” Globe & Mail.
- “How Canada can lead using Blockchain for P3,” Financier Worldwide.
- “Let’s Put the Inclusion Back in Financial Inclusion,” Financier Worldwide.
- “We Shouldn’t Be Relying on Hackers to Stop Terrorist Financing,” American Banker.
- “Infrastructure, asset management and corruption in Canada,” Financier Worldwide.
Select Presentations / Panels
- United Nations UNCITRAL, “The Promises & Perils of Artificial Intelligence & Importance of Lawyers.”
- Financial Action Task Force, California, “FinTech and Money Laundering Risks.”
- Credit Union International Regulators, Vancouver, “FinTech, AI and the Future of Banking.”
- AI Toronto, “The Promises and Perils of AI.”
- United Nations UNICTRAL, “The Law of Digital Currencies & of Blockchain.”
- Sibos Singapore, “Financial Inclusion & Refugee Crisis.”
- Asian Development Bank, Manila, “Financial Inclusion and identity issues.”
- Innovate Finance, London, with UNICEF, “Financial Inclusion and Refugee Crisis.”
- Asian Venture Capital Philanthropic Network, Singapore, “The Refugee Crisis.”
- Interac Conference, Ottawa, “Terrorist Financing and ATM Networks.”
- RCMP, “Financial Crime Risks with Digital Currencies.”
- ACAMS, New York, “Counter-Terrorist Financing in the Post-ISIS Age.”
- Offshore Alert, London England, “Financial Technology Innovations and Digital Currencies.”
- American Banker, Washington, DC, “Digital Currencies, Banking Regulatory Symposium.”
- Canadian Gaming Summit, Vancouver, “Anti-Money Laundering Law in the Gambling Regime.”
- ACAMS Conference, Toronto, “Digital Currencies and Financial Crime Risks.”
- ACAMS Netherlands, Amsterdam, “Law and Policy on Digital Currencies.”
- Bitcoin Foundation, Amsterdam, “Anti-Money Laundering Issues with Digital Currencies” panel with several financial crime specialists including Dr. Dirk Haubrich, European Banking Authority.
- Offshore Alert Conference, Miami, “Overview of Business & Legal Risks of Digital Currencies and Bitcoin.”
- Interac Conference, Victoria, “Bitcoin and other Digital Currencies – the Legal and Regulatory Landscape.”
- Inside Bitcoin Conference, New York City, “Policy Perspectives on Digital Currencies.”
- Osgoode Hall Law School, 10th Annual National Symposium on Money Laundering, Toronto, “Emerging Trends in Money Laundering – Bitcoin, Hawalas and Prepaid Access.”
- Inside Bitcoin Conference, Las Vegas, “Bitcoin, Digital Currencies and Regulatory Regime.”
- IMGL Conference, Oslo, “Future of Online Poker Worldwide.”
- ACAMS Conference, Toronto, “Economic and Trade Sanction Compliance.”