Barrister & Solicitor
Tel: (604) 601-2046
Christine Duhaime practices law with Duhaime Law in Toronto and Vancouver.
Christine has a specialized counter-terrorist financing and anti-money laundering law practice and is a Certified Financial Crime and Anti-Money Laundering Specialist, a U.S. certification. In that capacity, she advises on financial crime legal compliance which includes counter-terrorist financing and anti-money laundering law, FATCA compliance, economic and trade sanctions compliance for financial institutions, casinos, money services businesses, securities brokerages, law firms and for emerging financial regulatory areas and market regulation such as digital financial and e-money payment systems (such as Bitcoin), environmental economic crimes and carbon trading emissions. She also advises on financial inclusion issues that affect on-boarding and de-risking decisions in financial institutions.
Christine has appeared as a legal expert on terrorism, terrorist financing, money laundering, financial inclusion and financial crime before Committees of the House of Commons and the Senate of Canada.
She is also one of the only lawyers in the world with a combined practice in gambling law and anti-money laundering law, and advises casinos, gaming companies operating on mobile and online platforms, and social media entities on compliance with gaming, sports betting, wagering, anti-money laundering, and privacy laws.
Christine has a broad range of legal experience in M&A, corporate transactions, contract drafting, resolution of business and shareholder disputes, regulatory registrations, permitting and approvals, hearings relating to various regulatory matters, securities law regulation, and corporate compliance matters and immigration programs.
Christine is writing a global legal text book for Thomson Reuters in 2015 on financial crime, counter-terrorist financing, anti-money laundering law and financial institutional compliance.
She is also writing the world’s first law text book on digital financial services, e-money and innovative payment systems and digital finance that will cover financial regulation, law and policy being published in 2015 by Kluwer Law in the EU that will cover the global digital payments regime for lawyers, policy makers, businesses and regulators.
Christine was an Adjunct Professor of Law and taught international commercial arbitration law and advocacy.
Christine is the author of a published law text on international commercial arbitration law that annotated the United Nations Commercial International Trade Arbitration Model Law on international commercial arbitration and also participated in an international commercial arbitration moot and won the gold medal.
Christine formerly worked with a large international law firm based in Toronto.
Not For Profit Activities
Christine is the co-founder and Executive Director of the Digital Finance Institute, a think tank for independent research that engages for solutions via public-private partnerships to balance the emerging regulatory needs of digital financial services and products in ways that foster FinTech innovation and reduce financial inclusion problems. The Digital Finance Institute is the only think tank for FinTech. It held Canada’s 1st Conference on FinTech. Christine started a project at the Institute that is exploring ways to use innovative payment systems, including digital currencies, to solve financial inclusion at refugee camps for persons displaced by terrorism called Banking on Refugees. She also participated with SWIFT’s Innotribe and Carlisle & Gallagher in a project that studied women in FinTech and created the FinTech Index called “Bridging the Gender Gap“. Christine was invited, as representative of the Institute, to participate at a Gates Foundation Social in New York City, addressing its 2015 goals for improving the world and appeared as a guest in New York City on the leading FinTech radio program “Breaking Banks” to discuss FinTech Aid for Refugees.
Christine is the Canadian member of the Asian Venture Philanthrophy Network whose members are European and Asian private equity managers, private banks, wealth managers, financial services organizations, foundations, universities and government entities that promote social finance within the venture capital sector.
Christine is a member of the UK based Proceeds of Crime Lawyers Association, led by Sir John Grant McKenzie Laws, a Lord Justice of Appeals since 1999.
Christine was appointed to the Advisory Committee to the Judicial Council, a committee of the Canadian Bar Association, whose mandate involves assisting with respect to the appointment of judges.
Christine was appointed to the Advisory Board for Canada established by the Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists, the world’s leading certification body for financial crime compliance professionals, and is the Co-Chair of its Western Chapter. She is an appointed member of the task force for the development of the ACAMS annual conferences in Toronto.
- 2014 Corporate International Global Award for Canadian Law Firm in Business Crime Law.
- Listed as Global Law Expert for Corporate Law and Business Crime Law for 2014.
- Appointed Fellow of the Centre for International Legal Studies in Vienna, Austria.
- Appointed Member of International Masters of Gaming Law in the U.S.
Select Media Interviews
Christine is frequently in the media as an expert on legal issues, particularly in relation to financial crime, terrorism, financial and market regulation, including as follows:
- August 2015 – Christine was in The Bottom Line on the risks of ISIS and the “Twitter Terrorist” to Canada.
- July 2015 – Christine was in SWIFT’s Magazine Sibos Issues in respect of a project undertaken on Women in Finance and FinTech, and the advocacy of women in tech.
- July 2015 – Christine was in the Wall Street Journal regarding the FATF’s Guidance on digital (or virtual) currencies and risk based approaches to anti-money laundering legal compliance.
- July 2015 – Christine was in the Globe & Mail, Toronto Star and Huffingtonpost on the legal issues of terrorist threats to airline infrastructure.
- June 2015 – Christine was in the CFA Magazine on digital currencies regulation and FinTech.
- June 2015 – Christine was in American Banker in respect of the Canadian Senate Report on digital currencies.
- May 2015 – Christine was in American Banker on financial inclusion and the Banking on Refugees project for FinTech.
- May 2015 – Christine was interviewed by the Journal du Montréal regarding risks of terrorism and terrorist financing in Canada.
- May 2015 – Christine was interviewed by the National Post regarding transnational organized crime in Canada and money laundering concerns.
- May 2015 – Christine was interviewed by the Ottawa Citizen regarding the phenomena of the Twitter Terrorist, terrorism and terrorist financing.
- April 2015 – Christine was in the Wall Street Journal regarding terrorist financing risks and typologies and the firm’s White Paper on Terrorist Financing.
- April 2015 – Christine was in the South China Morning Post regarding China’s economic fugitives and proceeds of corruption entering Canada from China.
- April 2015 – Christine was in the Vancouver Sun regarding economic fugitives from China and concerns with proceeds of corruption and money laundering.
- April 2015 – Christine was in the National Post and Ottawa Citizen on proceeds of corruption being imported into Canada from China and money laundering concerns with China’s economic fugitives.
- April 2015 – Christine was in the National Post regarding money laundering compliance concerns involving the real estate sector in Canada.
- April 2015 – Christine was in Business in Vancouver regarding proceeds of corruption from China entering Canada and money laundering concerns with economic fugitives.
- March 2015 – Christine was in iPolitics regarding the counter-terrorist financing methods and solutions.
- February 2015 – Christine was in the South China Morning Post on the issue of money laundering activities in Vancouver.
- January 2015 – Christine was in International Business Times regarding terrorist financing of the Islamic State.
- January 2015 – Christine was in the Wall Street Journal in respect of the sanctions imposed on North Korean entities in response to the Sony cyberhack.
- January 2015 – Christine was in Forensic Accounting & Fraud Magazine regarding balancing the financial crime risks and innovative aspects of digital currencies in regulation.
- December 2014 – Christine was in Foreign Policy Magazine discussing the FATF’s review of terrorist financing in respect of the Islamic State.
- December 2014 – Christine was in China’s MingPao Daily regarding money laundering and terrorist financing trends in China, Hong Kong and Canada.
- November 2014 – Christine was in Money Laundering Bulletin, a UK publication, in respect of money laundering trends in China, Macau and Canada.
- October 2014 – Christine was interviewed on BNN in respect of terrorist attacks in Canada and impacts on the economy and financial markets.
- October 2014 – Christine was interviewed in The Wall Street Journal in respect of terrorist financing and the review by the Financial Action Task Force on the funding of the Islamic State.
- October 2014 – Christine was interviewed by GlobalTV in respect of convictions of terrorist financing in Canada.
- October 2014 – Christine was on CKOM Radio to discuss terrorist financing in Canada.
- October 2014 – Christine was interviewed for the Toronto Star in respect of the Islamic State’s human rights record and financial crimes, including terrorist financing.
- September 2014 – Christine was on CBC News to discuss terrorist financing issues and mitigation in respect of the Islamic State.
- July 2014 – Christine was quoted in the UK PaymentsCompliance publication in respect of the Financial Action Task Force Special Report on virtual and digital financial transactions.
- July 2014 – Christine was in Macleans regarding the financial technology and financial crime aspects of digital currency transactions.
- July 2014 – Christine’s summary of Canada’s new legislation implementing rules for digital currencies was included in the US Library of Congress‘ Global Legal Monitor service.
- June 2014 – Christine was in The Wall Street Journal regarding the implementation of the world’s first Bitcoin legislation.
- June 2014 – Christine was interviewed by The Daily Dot regarding securities law issues involving the offering of Bitcoin-related securities and derivatives in the United States and the UK.
- June 2014 – Christine was in Law Times Magazine regarding digital currencies and the practice of law in Canada.
- June 2014 – Christine was in Finextra regarding Canada’s digital currency legislation.
- June 2014 – Christine was interviewed in numerous UK publications, including Gambling Compliance, in respect of numerous anti-money laundering law developments with the Financial Action Task Force, EU Commission and UK Gambling Commission over online gambling.
- May 2014 – Christine was interviewed on international tax fraud, tax havens and money laundering in soccer with the Association of Certified Financial Crime Specialists.
- May 2014 – Christine was interviewed by Canadian Lawyer Magazine on legal issues associated with digital currency transactions in Canada.
- April 2014 – Christine was featured in an American documentary on Bitcoin for Millenials produced by Elite Daily.
- April 2014 – Christine was interviewed by the Huffington Post on legal issues associated with Bitcoin and digital finance products.
- April 2014 – Christine was interviewed by Lawyers Weekly in respect of amendments to the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act regarding domestic politically exposed persons.
- April 2014 – Christine was interviewed by Wealth Professional Magazine for the financial crime and other legal risks associated with digital financial products.
- March 2014 – Christine was interviewed by Canadian Lawyer Magazine in respect of the amendments to the Criminal Code to Internet gambling.
- February 2014 – Christine was interviewed by Canadian Lawyer Magazine regarding unreasonable trial delays in connection with the money laundering and murder trials of organized crime.
- January 2014 – Christine was included in a feature on Canada’s business leaders for British Columbia in connection with a youth networking program published by BC Business Magazine.
- January 2014 – Christine was interviewed by the U.K. publisher, Lloyd’s Law Reports, Financial Crime, on digital currencies.
- December 2013 – Christine was interviewed by the U.S. publication Moneylaundering.com on regulatory actions facing casinos and other gambling establishments in Canada and the U.S.
- May 2013 – Christine was interviewed by Huffington Post on the issue of reputation risks and proceeds of crime in connection with using crowdfunding platforms to raise funds to pay organized crime for an alleged video involving the Mayor of Toronto.
- May 2013 – Christine appeared on the Afternoon News Show on CKOM News Talk 650 in Saskatchewan to discuss the ethical and legal issues surrounding the use of crowdfunding to raise funds to pay organized crime for an alleged video involving the Mayor of Toronto.
- May 2013 – Christine was interviewed by the National Post on the potential money laundering issues and reporting requirements under anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financials laws of Canada and the U.S. in connection with the payment to organized crime through a crowdfunding platform for an alleged video of the Mayor of Toronto which was widely quoted in other media, including Foreign Policy.
- March 2013 – Christine was interviewed by Reuters Hong Kong on the issue of foreign corruption and bribery in Asia and the U.S.
- February 2013 – Christine was interviewed by the Toronto Star on the legality of charity gambling under the Criminal Code of Canada at hockey games in Canada.
- February 2013 – Christine was interviewed by the U.S. publication MoneyLaundering.com regarding Canada’s new regulations under the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act.
- January 2013 – Christine was interviewed by the U.S. publication MoneyLaundering.com regarding online gambling, sports betting and money laundering risks.
- January 2013 – Christine was interviewed by the U.S. publication MoneyLaundering.com in connection with the FATF Recommendations and anti-money laundering global outlook for 2013.
- September 2012 – Christine was interviewed by Forensic Accounting & Fraud Magazine for an article on FINTRAC and money laundering in Canada.
- May 2012 – Christine was interviewed by Business in Vancouver on online and mobile gambling issues.
- April 2012 – Christine was interviewed by News 1130 Radio on online gambling issues in Canada.
- October 2011 – Christine was interviewed by the Vancouver Sun on online gambling issues in connection with indictment against Full Tilt Poker.
- September 2011 – Christine was interviewed by the Montreal Gazette on online gambling and money laundering.
- October 2010 – Christine was interviewed by Journal Métro on Twitter and other social media issues.
- October 2010 – Christine was interviewed by CTV National News on social media issues.
- February 2006 – Christine was interviewed by L’Expert Magazine on international trade issues.
- November 2005 – Christine was interviewed by the Financial Post on international trade disputes.
- August 2005 – Christine was interviewed by the Toronto Star on WTO disputes and international trade issues.
Articles and Publications
Christine has written numerous articles on M&A, corporate law, international trade, financial crime, gambling and anti-money laundering law for various publications such as for the Financial Post, Toronto Star, Medical Post, Corporate Governance, National Magazine, Canadian Gaming Business, IGaming Law, Casino Magazine, Gambling Compliance and Lawyer’s Weekly:
- “We Shouldn’t Be Relying on Hackers to Stop Terrorist Financing” in American Banker.
- “Canada vs. Islamic State: It’s Time to Pull the Plug on Terrorist Financing” in the Globe & Mail.
- “Infrastructure, private-public partnerships and corruption in Canada” in Financier Worldwide (UK).
- “Digital Financial Innovation and Risks of Bitcoin and other Digital Currencies” in Corporate Risk Magazine.
- Making Public-Private Partnerships Work in Social Finance, Asian Venture Capital Philanthropic Network, Singapore, April 2015.
- Terrorist Financing, the ATM Network and the Twitter Terrorist for Financial Institutions, Interac Conference, Ottawa, April 2015.
- Financial Crime Risks with Digital Currencies, RCMP, March 2015.
- Counter-Terrorist Financing in the Post-ISIS Age, ACAMS, New York, March 2015.
- Financial Technology Innovations and Digital Currencies, Offshore Alert, London England, London, 2014.
- Banking Regulatory Symposium, American Banker, Washington, DC, 2014.
- Anti-Money Laundering Law in the Gambling Regime, Canadian Gaming Summit, Vancouver, 2014.
- Digital Currencies and Financial Crime Risks, 2nd Annual ACAMS Conference on Financial Crime, Toronto, 2014.
- Law and Policy on Digital Currencies with a review of the Canadian Approach, ACAMS Netherlands, Amsterdam, 2014.
- Anti-Money Laundering Issues with Digital Finance and Digital Currencies, panel with several financial crime specialists including Dr. Dirk Haubrich, European Banking Authority, Bitcoin Foundation, Amsterdam.
- Overview of Business & Legal Risks of Digital Currencies and Bitcoin, OffshoreAlert 2014 Conference, Miami.
- Bitcoin and other Digital Currencies – the Legal and Regulatory Landscape, Interac Conference, Victoria.
- Bitcoin – What It Is and Whether Its Risky, ACAMS Canada Chapter, Vancouver.
- Policy Perspectives from Washington, DC and Bitcoin, Inside Bitcoin Conference, New York City.
- Emerging Trends in Money Laundering – Bitcoin, Hawalas and Prepaid Access, 10th Annual National Symposium on Money Laundering, Osgoode Hall Law School, Toronto.
- Bitcoin, Digital Currencies and Regulatory Regime, Inside Bitcoin Conference, Las Vegas.
- Future of Online Poker Worldwide, IMGL Conference, Oslo.
- Minimizing Money Laundering Risks with Law Firm Bank Accounts, Webinar with MNP LLP, Toronto.
- Economic and Trade Sanction Compliance, ACAMS Conference, Toronto.
- Money Laundering at Casinos in U.S. and Canada, North American Gaming Regulators Association, San Diego.
- Anti-Money Laundering Compliance, The Canadian Institute, Toronto.
- Managing Legal Risks of Social Media, Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association, Toronto.
- Online Dispute Resolution, University of British Columbia, Vancouver.
- Anti-Money Laundering Compliance, The Canadian Institute, Toronto.
- Gambling Law Fundamentals, The Canadian Institute, Toronto.
- Arbitration Law in Canada, Europe and Asia, Vancouver.
- Regulatory Compliance Issues, Center for International Legal Studies, Whistler.
- International Trade – NAFTA Chapter 19, Center For International Legal Studies, Colorado.
- Confidentiality In International Commercial Arbitration, EU-LEX Conference, Toronto.
Speaking / Teaching
- Panel Member, Poker Liquidity, International Masters of Gaming Law Conference, October 2013, Oslo.
- Panel Member, Economic Sanctions, Compliance Regimes and Anti-Money Laundering, Financial Crime and Anti-Money Laundering Conference, ACAMS, May 2013, Canada.
- Panel Member, Anti-money Laundering and Corruption in Sports Betting, iGaming Asia Congress for Mobile, Gaming & Lotteries Industries, March 2013, Macau.
- Chair, Anti-Money Laundering Law Course, Canada.
- Faculty, Anti-Money Laundering Compliance, Gambling Conference, The Canadian Institute, Canada.
- Faculty, Anti-Money Laundering Risks, Gambling Conference, The Canadian Institute, Canada.
- Co-Chair, Arbitration Law Course, Canada.
- Faculty, Litigation & Regulatory Matters, Center for International Legal Studies, Canada.
- Faculty, NAFTA and International Trade, Center For International Legal Studies, United States.
- Adjunct Professor, Arbitration Law and Advocacy, Faculty of Law, University of British Columbia, Canada.